Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Waffles

This one is all mine. Now, I am not good at baking, so with this recipe I start with a pre-made pancake mix and add to it. In the future I hope to make yummy waffles that don't start out as such, but so far all attempts have yielded floury tasting dry waffles. This recipe only makes about 3 waffles with our Belgian waffle maker. I'm going to try altering this weekend to get a solid four waffles. It really depends on your waffle iron for how many waffles you get. With ours this one makes two good ones and the third is fickle. Sometimes it makes a good third one, other times the remaining batter makes about half a waffle. I think it changes depending on how long I let it sit.

You'll Need:

A box of Aunt Jemima's pancake mix, original, the just add water one.
You'll use 2 cups of the above mix
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cups oil (I use veggie oil, olive oil would be too heavy I think)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 and 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon, I think
Pam
You can add various things to the batter, blueberries, strawberry chunks, whatever you want really. With this amount of batter, no more than a cup I would say. But thats me. :D

A waffle iron, a mixing bowl, a spoon, a ladle, cooling racks, a fork.
Various toppings. I top mine with cool whip and normally fresh strawberries, my husband likes butter and Mrs. Butterworth syrup. If i want syrup, I go for the good stuff thats like 5 bucks a bottle. Thankfully I don't go for it much. This morning my husband used his syrup and peanut butter, that was on pancakes made with this mix straight up. So yeah, use whatever you want for toppings.

How To:

Follow the instructions on the back on the box, the waffle instructions are on the bottom left corner above the chart for different amounts of pancakes. Add in the brown sugar and cinnamon once you've got the water and oil mixed together. Now, this is important. Do not set your waffle iron to heat before you make this. Right now, walk away from the batter. Get the waffle iron out of the cupboard and set up. Spray it lightly with Pam and plug it in to start heating up. Stay away from the batter.
After about 5 minutes or more, the waffle iron should be heated, and your batter should be full of air pockets. This is what you want. Ladle a good amount of the batter onto the iron, you want the batter to be almost reaching the edge on its own while its still seeping around the iron. Close the lid and back away. I want to say walk away, which you can, just don't forgot about it. I'm not sure how long it will take to cook, it depends on the waffle iron. Tried and true method, don't open the lid until after it starts steaming and stops. So. You close the lid. No steam. It starts to steam. It stops steaming. It is safe to check the waffle. I use a fork to pop the waffle out of the iron and onto a cooling rack. No I don't let it cool, its just that if you put it right onto a plate, the bottom gets soggy from the steam. So let it sit on the rack for a minute before serving.

Thats it really. You can also make like a double batch and freeze some if you want. I haven't tried that because I'd want to eat them all.

I usually make these on Sunday, around noon when my husband and I finally wake up. hehe. I'll take a photo and post it. I didn't make them this past Sunday, we had friends over Saturday night and my husband was only able to get me out of bed by luring me out with cinnamon buns. :D

Enjoy!
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment