Monday, October 18, 2010

Why?

One little question that can cause so much angst and joy.

I've found asking myself why after every little bit of action has added depth and a realism to my stories. It's a recent discovery and as I am still a fledgling writer, I'm sure many of you already do that.


Author - A
Critic (muse in disguise.) - C

A: FMC moves to Smallville USA
C: Why?
A: Because that's where she meets the love of her life!
C: But why does she move there?
A: Uhh...

A: Teenage MC runs away.
C: Why?
A: Because she thinks the cops are after her.
C: Why does she think that?
A: I don't know, but I know she needs to be running from the cops so she won't call them when the bad guy harasses her then finally kidnaps her and keeps her locked in a basement.
C: Uh huh. Did she do drugs?
A: No! She would never touch drugs!
C: Did she steal something?
A: No! She would never steal!
C: Did she do anything illegal?
A: No! She's a very good person.
C: Then why would she be afraid of the police?
A: Uhh...


C: Wait, why was MC in the bus crash?
A: Because MC has to take the bus to get around.
C: Why didn't he take his car that he bought last chapter?
A: Uhh...

And so on. (Not the best examples in the world, just what's popping in my brain at the moment.)

One little word can cause major transformations if asked at the right moment.

Yay writing!

8 comments:

  1. Everyone underestimates the power of the word `WHY`. It's a simple question that needs serious consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's really good advice!

    i had a completed ms that i was querying and thought it was done. then a crit partner asked "WHY" about a plot point....and i was like...uh, uh, uh.

    guess what i'm working on now.

    yep.

    revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I know that little song and dance. Sometimes, I just want to say, ‘humor me and suspend disbelief so I can have it MY way for once!
    The Critic/Muse never listens... and that's probably a good thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helpful muse you have!

    And BTW, I totally relate to the character who's afraid of the cops. I've never had any run ins with them but my heart still races when I see them. It's completely irrational, but there you have it. Sometimes there is no answer to the questions Why?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a powerful simple word and question:why?
    if you question anything,an answer shell come to light!
    Fabulous blog and fabulous ideas!
    love,love all!
    will visit often.
    hugs
    lila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you all liked it, thanks for stopping by!

    Sherrie - That's an excellent point. Somethings just have no explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Why," says you.

    "Just because," says me.

    ReplyDelete