Friday, January 23, 2009

Blueberry Crisps

Blueberry Crisp (I call it a crumble but everyone else seems to call it a crisp)

Thank you Alton Brown! The original recipe is here -Individual Berry Cups Below is the same basic recipe, with what I did and added.

The crisp topping recipe makes about double what you need for the actual crisp recipe, so if you double the recipe, you do not need to double the crisp topping. I don’t know how it would work if you cut this in half. I’m planning to make another one soon so I just made it as is.

You’ll need: Various measuring cups and a teaspoon. A medium mixing bowl, another medium mixing bowl, a mixing spoon, a sheet pan and 4 of the (7 to 8-ounce) ramekins. I have two 7 oz ramekins so I just made two and saved the mixed to make again and the two I made are already gone. :D

For the Crisp Topping:
AP flour, 5 oz (about a cup)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ cup quick cook oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
½ cup chopped almonds
4 oz (1 stick) butter, cut up into cubes and chilled

For the Filling:
12 oz frozen blueberries (normal bag size)
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 1/2 cups of the crisp topping mix




To make the crisp topping:

Place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nuts and crackers into a large mixing bowl and combine. This is when you nix the spoon and the fingers take over. Work the butter into the dry ingredients with your hands until it is crumbly. You really have to squish it together. It’s kind of fun actually. You can store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Use as topping for crisps, cobblers or grunts. (It’s also quite yummy mixed into oatmeal or other hot cereals) Measure out 2 ½ cups for the crisp below.


To make the Blueberry crisps

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the frozen berries, sugar, cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the crisp topping into a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine. Divide the mixture evenly between 4 (7 to 8-ounce) ramekins (Here, I sprayed the dishes with cooking spray first).

Top each ramekin with 1/2 cup of the remaining crisp topping. Place the ramekins on a sheet pan and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is browned (took 30 minutes in my oven). Allow the crisps to cool for 15 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I love Blueberry Crumble...only discovered I'm sensitive to gluten...any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just searched on Google and found a gluten free baking & pancake mix on amazon. It says you can use it just like normal all purpose flour. (I tried to add the link, but it won't let me. I'll figure this all out eventually.)

    From my understanding, oats are gluten free but are usually processed in the same bins as flour. I haven’t tried this but quick-cooking grits may be a good substitute for the oatmeal.

    I don’t believe nuts have gluten in them, I think it’s one of those check the package to see if they’ve been processed in the same place as flour things.

    My father's wife is super sensitive to gluten, I will have to give her a call and find out if she knows of anything that would work in a crumble.

    No one should have to live without eating crumbles :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy, plus blueberry is supposed to be good for us!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete