Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pumpernickel Bread

YUMMY

This is the recipe I followed, with my own tweaks of course. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bread-Machine-Pumpernickel-Bread/Detail.aspx And yes, I have not figured out how to properly insert links into one of these things.

You'll Need:

A bread machine. I know this can be tweaked for 'old fashioned' bread making, but I don't bake that way.
A baking pan to bake the bread on, I used out pizza stone. You can bake this in your bread machine, I just prefer making the round loaf and baking it like that.
  • 1 1/8 cups warm water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional and I do not use)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (optional and I do not use)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
Put all the ingredients into your bread machine per your machines directions. The normal seems to be, liquid first, then dry, then make a well in the dry for the yeast so it doesn't touch the water.

The way I set my machine is first the loaf size, this recipe is a 1.5 pounder. Then I select the dough setting. Press start. I also set my kitchen timer now for about 30 minutes. I want the machine to do the hard work of mixing everything together, and give the rise a head start with the heat. Once the machine has stopped to let the dough do its first rise, I unplug mine.

I leave the dough in there until its risen, about an hour. Then I remove the dough from the little pan thing and shape it into the round loaf. I usually sprinkle some corn meal on some parchment paper to do this. You aren't kneading it, just shaping it into a circle. Cover with a towel (keep it light) and let it rise for another good hour.

Once it looks like a nice loaf of pumpernickel, into the preheated 350 degree oven it goes for 45 minutes. You should be able to knock on the crust when it's done. Let it cool for a bit then enjoy. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment